- 1 cup dried split peas
- 1/2 lb of pre packaged ham. Diced in 1/8 inch squares. (Ham slices will work well)
- 1 tbs canola oil
- 1 onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into rounds
- 7 cups chicken stock
- Kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
Why buy your soup in a can when you can make delicious healthy soup from scratch ? This soup uses ham, however if you prefer vegetarian soup, eliminate the ham and use vegetable instead of chicken stock.
- Rinse and pick through peas.
- In a large pot bring the peas to a boil in 3 cups of water. boil for 3 minutes. Turn off heat cover peas and let soak for 1 hour.
- Drain peas and discard the soaking water and rinse peas.
- Heat the oil in a large pot. add the onion and garlic and saute over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the peas carrots and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer covered for 30 to 40 minutes, until peas are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- In a blender of food processor puree the soup in batches. if desired puree only half for a chunkier texture.
- Return the pureed soup to the pan and add the cubed ham. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.