Thai Shrimp Salad With Mango and Cucumber
|1 and 1/2 lb of large shrimp shelled and deveined with tails on|
|1 fresh red Thai bird chili minced|
|Shredded rind of one lime ( use a zester)|
|2 tbs of canola or peanut oil plus extra for brushing|
|1 ripe firm mango peeled and cut into long thin strips|
|2 carrots peeled and cut in long thin strips|
|1/2 cucumber seeded and cut into long thin strips|
|1/2 red onion halved and cut into thin strips|
|Cilantro sprigs for garnish|
|Mint Sprigs for garnish|
|3 tbs of roasted peanuts, chopped|
|1 large clove of garlic minced|
|3 tsp of super fine sugar|
|Juice of 2 limes|
|2 tbs of fish sauce|
|1 red chili minced|
|2 tsp of rice vinegar|
Thai food is intensely flavored and when partnered with shrimp, mango and a sweet-sour garlic dressing spiked with the intense flavor of Thai chili that will create an unbelievable taste sensation!
- Place shrimp in a bowl with the lime and chilies. Spoon some oil over them and season with salt and pepper. Toss well and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- For the dressing mince the garlic along with the superfine sugar and mix until smooth.
- Mix the lime juice and vinegar with the garlic mixture along with the fish sauce. Mix well.
- Add the chili to the dressing and season for taste.
- Peel and remove pit from the mango and slice into thin strips.
- place the mango, carrots, cucumber and onion into a bowl and gently mix, along with half of the dressing.
- Arrange the salads on a platter or in individual bowls.
- Heat a skillet with high heat add some oil and saute the shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes on each side
- Place the shrimp evenly over the salad.
- Sprinkle the remaining dressing over the salads and garnish with mint and cilantro
- finely shred the remaining chili and sprinkle over the salads with the peanuts.
- Serve at once.