Andouille Sausage and Bean Pot
|1 pound of andouille sausage cut into 1 inch rounds|
|1 16 oz can of kidney beans, drained|
|1 16 oz can of chick peas, drained|
|8 oz of carrots peeled and cut into 1/2 rounds|
|8 oz of onions diced|
|16 oz can of peeled Italian tomatoes|
|3 cloves of garlic|
|1 tbs corn starch|
|1 and 1/2 cups of chicken stock|
|1 tbs hot pepper sauce|
|2 tbs tomato paste|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2 tbs chopped parsley|
Andouille, french in origin is a heavily smoked sausage and is frequently used in Cajun cooking and makes a spicy addition to any recipe where smoked sausage is called for, and perfect for this bean pot.
- In a saute pan cook the onions, and until slightly soft..Add the carrots and cook for another minute.
- Cut the sausage into 1 inch rounds and add to the onions and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans, chick peas, tomatoes and chicken stock. Stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer beans using low heat for 45 minutes. Add the parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.