Andouille Sausage and Bean Pot
- 1 pound of andouille sausage cut into 1 inch rounds
- 1 16 oz can of kidney beans, drained
- 1 16 oz can of chick peas, drained
- 8 oz of carrots peeled and cut into 1/2 rounds
- 8 oz of onions diced
- 16 oz can of peeled Italian tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbs corn starch
- 1 and 1/2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 tbs hot pepper sauce
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
Andouille, french in origin is a heavily smoked sausage and is frequently used in Cajun cooking and makes a spicy addition to any recipe where smoked sausage is called for, and perfect for this bean pot.
- In a saute pan cook the onions, and until slightly soft..Add the carrots and cook for another minute.
- Cut the sausage into 1 inch rounds and add to the onions and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans, chick peas, tomatoes and chicken stock. Stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer beans using low heat for 45 minutes. Add the parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.