Asian Beef Tartare
Here is an Asian twist on beef tartar. Use the best beef available devoid of any fat. This recipe uses grass fed fillet or sirloin, along with the wonderful contrasting flavors of pine nuts, crispy pears and lettuce. This recipe is a great appetizer and will serve 6.
- 1 lb of sirloin or Fillet of beef
- 1 head butter head lettuce
- 1 Asian pear (if you can’t find Asian pear use a domestic pear)
- 2 tbs of pine nuts
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 4 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- 4 tsp of sesame oil
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Freeze the beef for 30 minutes before prep.
- Cut the pear in to matchstick pieces.
- Line the serving with lettuce leaves and arrange the sticks of pear around the outside, leaving a space in the center.
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Remove the beef from the freezer an dice finely with a sharp knife.Make sure to discard any fatty sections.
- Put the beef into a bowl, and add all the seasoning ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly with clean hands kneading meat gently,
- Place the seasoned beef into the middle of the lettuce lined platter, and gently lay the unbroken egg yolk on the top.
- Sprinkle with the pine nuts and sliced garlic and serve.
- To eat, break the egg yolk and mix it with the beef.
- Transfer to individual bowls or plates. Diners should eat the beef with a little pear and garlic for the best combination of flavors.