- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tbs superfine sugar
- 2 tbs green tea powder (can be purchased at Asian supermarkets)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup heavy cream
This ice cream has wonderful flavor as well as the energizing properties of green tea.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a large heat proof bowl.
- Add the milk and sugar and whisk until the sugar is disolved.
- Place the bowl over a pan of barley simmering water. Whisk until this custard mixture begins to thicken slightly and remove from heat.
- Add the green tea powder to the water and stir until it is dissolved
- Cool the green tea mixture before adding to the custard.
- Add ice water and a few ice cubes to large bowl and place the bowl of custard inside the larger one to cool the custard quickly. Stir during cooling.
- In another bowl whip the heavy cream until thick and light but not stiff, then fold into the custard.
- Transfer mixture to a freezer container and chill for 8 hours before freezing. This process will help to prevent ice crystals from forming.
- Place the mixture in the freezer and stir every 30 minutes, or until the ice cream is thick, smooth and creamy.
- Alternatively you may also use an ice cream machine. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions. The heavy cream will not have to be whisked before it is added to the custard.