Batter Dipped Crispy Onion Rings
- 2 large Spanish onions (the bigger the better)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups cracker meal
- Canola or corn oil for frying (approximately 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup milk
The first time we tasted these onion rings they were served at Sonny Bryan’s Barbecue in Dallas Texas. They absolutely delicious! Crunchy on the outside and soft and savory on the inside.
- Peel tough outer skins from onions and cut onions into 1 inch rings.
- Place onions in a large bowl of ice water for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix the milk with 1 cup of the flour and the eggs. Stir and mix well to form a batter. If too stiff add some water to loosen it up.
- Place 1 cup of the flour in a large bowl.
- Place cracker meal in a large bowl.
- Drain the onions and dredge in the dry flour. Tap off excess.
- Dip onions in the batter, let excess drip off and then dredge rings in the cracker meal.
- Place breaded onions rings on a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Deep onion rings in 360 degree hot oil.
- Fry until golden and crispy.