Caesar Salad with Chicken
|3/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil|
|1/2 cup lemon juice|
|1/4 loaf French baguette cut into 1 inch cubes|
|1 large garlic clove, crushed|
|1 head of Romaine lettuce, leaves separated and washed|
|2 eggs boiled for 1 minute|
|2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese|
|6 canned anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped|
|Kosher or sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper|
|1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast|
This is a well loved salad invented by chef Caesar Cardini. Easy to make and ultimately delicious. This is the authentic version.
- Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large frying pan. Add the bread cubes and garlic. Cook over a medium heat, stirring and turning constantly, until the bread cubes are golden and brown all over. Be careful not to burn.
- Drain well on paper towels and discard the garlic. Let the oil cool.
- Grill or poach the chicken breast, then slice into strips.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining oil and oil from the frying pan. Add the 2 egg yolks (reserve whites for another use) anchovies and lemon juice and mix well. Season with salt and pepper
- Tear the lettuce leaves into smaller pieces and add the leaves to the bowl with the mixed dressing.
- Toss the salad gently and garnish with the croutons Parmesan cheese and the chicken strips/
- Serve immediately.