Celery Au Gratin
- 2 bunches of celery
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 and 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
Celery and cheese is a wonderful combination…This recipe gives you an wonderful alternative for using celery, not just as a flavoring but as a side dish.
- Trim the celery, discarding any tough outer stalks.Reserve some of the inner leaves and small stalks.
- Cut stalks on the diagonal into 2 inch lenghts.
- Blend the cornstarch into the sour cream, and season with salt and pepper.
- Mince the reserved celery leaves and add to the cream.
- Pour over the celery.
- Cook celery with the bay leaves in a pan of boiling salted water for about 10 minutes.
- Drain and discard the bay leaves and add celery to a gratin dish.
- Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and cheese, and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until celery is tender and the top is golden brown. About 30 minutes.
- Serve at once.