- 1/2 lb Gruyere Cheese
- 1/2 lb Emmental Cheese
- 1 large clove garlic halved
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 3 tbs kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Kosher salt and fresh Cracked black pepper to taste
- Crusty French bread cut into cubes for dipping
- Fondue forks or long wooden toothpicks
The is an authentic version of classical savory French fondue. If you don’t have a fondue set you may transfer the fondue to a warm serving dish and keep warm over a heated serving tray at the table, but we are sure that once you taste this wonderful fondue you will run out and purchase a fondue set for future use.
- Shred the cheeses. Run the halved garlic clove around the inside of a fondue pan(or a heavy sauce pan)
- Blend the corn starch to a smooth paste with the Kirsch.
- Put the wine lemon juice, and shredded cheeses in the pan with the blended cornstarch and bring slowly to a boil stirring continuously.
- Simmer gently for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Set the pan over the fondue burner at the table and serve with chunks of crusty bread for dipping.