Chicken Liver Pate
|1 lb of chicken livers, cut in half and trimmed of sinew|
|1/4 stick of unsalted butter, softened for saute|
|1/4 stick butter for mousse|
|2 shallots, minced|
|Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1/2 tsp allspice|
|1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped|
|1 tbs chopped parsley|
|1/4 cup Madeira wine|
- In a large saute pan melt 1/4 stick of butter over moderate heat and add the shallots and garlic. Saute for about 3 minutes.
- Turn heat up and add the chicken livers, and brown on all sides.
- Season with salt ,pepper, allspice, rosemary and parsley, and stir.
- Then add the wine, bring to a simmer, scraping bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Remove the chicken livers from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Continue to cook sauce rapidly until the liquid is reduced by 1/2.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Puree the livers and the contents of the pan in a food processor until smooth. Add in 2 tbs of softened butter and continue to process until smooth.
- Pack the mousse into a small bowl or crock and cover tightly.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Serve plain, with sweet gherkins or spread on crisp crackers.