- 2 tbs butter
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 tsp curry powder (see recipe for authentic curry powder in our search engine)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 cups cold, mashed potatoes
- 3 tbs plain yogurt
- Kosher salt to taste
- 3 tbs canola oil
This is a fusion recipe that combines an very traditional Indian filling with Japanese tempura batter. You can make these potato puffs a head of time and freeze for later use. However they are much crispier if you use them right away.
- Boil potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes. Cool under running water and peel. Mash
- To prepare filling add canola oil along with the butter in a small pan over moderate heat.
- Add onion and saute until soft. Add curry powder, cumin, red pepper flakes. black pepper, turmeric and coriander and saute, stirring continuously for about 5 minutes.
- Add the spice mixture to the potatoes and mix well.
- Stir in the yogurt and season with salt.
- Add potatoes to a baking dish.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until the top of the potatoes are golden brown.