Indian Curry Sauce
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbs ground coriander
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 cup split red or yellow lentils
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This is a versatile sauce full of Indian and Caribbean flavors that can be used with meats, fish, and vegetables. It freezes well, so you can prepare in advance.
- Heat a large sauce pan, add the oil and saute the onion and garlic for about 4 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the spices and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Add the lentils and stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are very soft and almost falling apart. About 30 minutes.
- Add the yogurt and mix well, using low heat.
- Season with salt and pepper.