|2 shallots peeled and minced|
|1 carrot, peeled and minced|
|1/2 celery stalk, minced|
|2 tbs canola oil|
|1 tbs flour|
|1 tsp tomato paste|
|1 tsp mushroom peelings|
|2 and 1/2 cups beef stock|
|Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
This is a very rich reduction of beef stock and will make your brown gravies sauces sing.
- Heat oil in a saute pan and add the minced vegetables.Saute until vegetables are tender. Do not brown.
- Mix in the flour and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until it turns brown about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Off the heat, stir in the tomato paste, mushroom peelings and 3/4’s of the cold stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, stirring and simmer partially covered for 45 minutes, skimming occasionally.
- Strain the sauce to a clean pan, bring to a boil and add the remaining stock.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and and remove any scum from the surface.
- Repeat twice more with the remaining cold stock.
- Keep reducing until you have a thin syrupy sauce.