Many of you love oysters on the half shell but wind up paying dearly for them at an oyster bar only because you don’t know how to or don’t feel like being bothered with the hassle of opening them. Here is a great technique that makes opening them a snap.
- In a shallow saute pan add about 1 and 1/2 inches of cold water and bring to a boil.
- In a shallow dish have at the ready a good amount of crushed ice.
- Plunge oyster’s 1 or two at a time into the boiling water.
- Leave them for 15 or 20 seconds.
- Remove them for the boiling water and you will discover that they have began to open.
- Remove the top flat shell of the oyster and place the immediately on the crushed ice.
Note: Don’t worry you will have not cooked the oyster. They were in the hot water just long enough to trick them into opening.