Goat Cheese Salad with Pecans
|4 goat cheese rounds, about 2 oz's each|
|8 cups of mixed salad leaves (Radicchio, Frisee, Red leaf lettuce etc)|
|1 yellow or red bell pepper finely diced|
|1/4 cup whole pecans|
|1 small red onion, cut in half length wise and sliced thinly|
|3 tbs chopped parsley|
|2 tbs chopped chives|
|4 slices of french bread 1/2 inch thick|
|2 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|For the dressing|
|2 tbs white wine vinegar|
|4-5 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|1-2 tsp whole grain mustard|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
Goat cheese has a strong tangy, robust flavor. In a salad it complements strong flavored greens like frisee, radicchio and red leaf lettuce.
- For the dressing, mix the vinegar and salt in a bowl, stirring with a fork until the salt dissolves Whisk in the mustard. Then gradually whisk in the olive oil until an emulsion forms. Season to taste with pepper and set aside.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and add the bread slices and cook until golden on both sides. Drain on paper towels, and set aside.
- Place the salad leaves in a bowl, add 3 tbs of the dressing and toss and coat well.
- Divide the dressed leaves among four salad plates.
- Place the goat’s cheese rounds , cut side up on a foil lined baking sheet and broil for 1 or two minutes until bubbling and golden.
- Set a goat cheese round on each slice of bread and place in the center of each salad.
- Sprinkle the diced pepper, red onion, pecans, parsley and chives over the salad.
- Drizzle with the remaining dressing and serve with a glass of crisp white wine.