Heart Shaped Oatmeal Buttermilk Honey Pancakes with Pecans
- 3/4 cup oat flour ( you can make your own by grinding 1 cup whole oats..(not instant) in a food processor of spice grinder)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch, freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tb unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 tsp unsalted butter for the cooking pan
- 1 and 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup cooked oatmeal (not instant,,see note)
- 1 tb honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
Pure maple syrup, fresh fruit and these pancakes..Heaven! Makes 24 pancakes. You may purchase a heart shaped cookie mold at your kitchen supply store…Make a few round pancakes, then make some heart shaped. Once cooked place the heart shaped pancakes on top of the round ones and garnish with several pats of butter.
- Mix together the oat flour, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, stir the melted cooled butter, buttermilk, cooked oatmeal, honey and eggs together until combined well.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients only until combined.
- Fold in the pecans. Do not over mix..the batter will not have a uniform appearance.
- Heat a griddle over medium high heat until water sizzles when dripped onto the pan.
- Lightly coat the pan with 1 tsp of melted butter.
- Drop batter onto the griddle in 1/4 cup mounds.
- Flip the pancakes when bubbles begin to form around the edges and cook until the bottom is dark golden brown. About 5 minutes total.
- Add a bit more butter to the griddle as needed and continue to cook the pancakes,
Note: To make oatmeal bring 2 cups of water, 1 cup whole rolled oats and a pinch of salt to a boil and simmer on low for 5 minutes. Let cool.