Indian Dahl Curry
- 1 cup of orange or yellow split peas
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp black mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek
- 12 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp tumeric
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- juice of 1 lime
This is a delicious nourishing split-pea curry dish that is common to India. Flavored with onions, garlic, cumin, black mustard seeds, fenugreek and coriander.
- Rinse the split peas and soak in water to cover overnight. Drain.
- In a large pot melt butter over moderate heat.
- Add onion, garlic cumin, mustard seed, fenugreek, coriander, turmeric, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, drained split peas, and enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 1 hour or until the split peas are tender.
- Add the potatoes for the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Serve hot with jasmine or basmaiti rice.