Indian Dahl Curry
|1 cup of orange or yellow split peas|
|1/4 cup unsalted butter|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 tsp ground cumin|
|1 tsp black mustard seed|
|1/2 tsp ground fenugreek|
|12 tsp ground coriander|
|1 tsp tumeric|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes|
|1 cup coarsely chopped fresh or canned tomatoes|
|2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed|
|juice of 1 lime|
This is a delicious nourishing split-pea curry dish that is common to India. Flavored with onions, garlic, cumin, black mustard seeds, fenugreek and coriander.
- Rinse the split peas and soak in water to cover overnight. Drain.
- In a large pot melt butter over moderate heat.
- Add onion, garlic cumin, mustard seed, fenugreek, coriander, turmeric, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, drained split peas, and enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 1 hour or until the split peas are tender.
- Add the potatoes for the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Serve hot with jasmine or basmaiti rice.