Japanese Egg Plant in Soy Sauce
- 1 medium Japanese eggplant
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 3 tbs sake
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 tbs peanut oil
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Japanese egg plant is a smaller variety that is slender as opposed to the larger variety. The flavor is somewhat more delicate but absolutely delicious.
- Cut stem off egg plant but do not peel.
- Cut egg plant into 1 inch cubes.
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, sake and sugar and mix well
- In a large saute pan heat peanut oil over moderate heat.
- Add egg plant cubes and saute slowly, until cubes are slightly soft and lightly browned. About 5 minutes
- Add soy sauce mixture and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is completely absorbed and egg plant is a deep glazed brown.