- 1 pound chicken livers, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sake wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed dry red pepper flakes
- 4 scallions finely chopped
- 1 8 oz can of water chestnuts drained and sliced into rounds.
In this recipe the chicken livers are simmered in this concentrated marinade for several hours which develops a deep savory traditional Japanese flavor.
- In a sauce pan, combine the chicken livers with the soy sauce, sake, water, sugar, garlic, ginger, red peppers, scallions and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer over moderate heat, uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Cool, then cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Remove livers from marinade, slice then serve on a round of water chestnut held by a tooth pick.