Mexican Tortilla Soup
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbs chopped cilantro
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 canned mild green chili, minced
- 1 tbs anato powder
- 2 tbs of red chili puree
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup cooked pork, cut in to thin strips
- 3 scallions, chopped. White and green parts
- 1 unpeeled lime finely chopped
This is an authentic preparation of this Mexican classic. It uses the combination of lemon and lime to elevate the taste.
- In a large sauce pan heat the chicken stock and add the lemon juice, cilantro, red pepper and chilies, chili puree and anato powder.
- Simmer, uncovered over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Right before serving, fry tortilla strips in hot oil until lightly browned and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Add tortilla strips, shredded chicken, shredded pork, scallions and chopped lime to hot soup
- Serve at once.