Nasi Goreng Indonesian Fried Rice
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp crushed red peppers , and or 1 Serrano pepper chopped with seeds
- 1 and 1/2 cups of jasmine rice
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 1 and 1/2 tbs molasses
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 cup chicken pork or shrimp, minced (you may use a combination of all three if desired)
- 2 scallions, sliced on a bias
- 1/3 cup green peas
- 1 egg, fried
I had this version of fried rice in Java. It is usually served in a folded banana leaf packed so it can be opened and eaten with your fingers. it is also served with a fried egg on top.
- Heat peanut oil in a wok or large saute pan with a cover,
- Add the onion, curry powder, turmeric, ginger, peppers and saute gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and saute 5 minutes or until rice is golden and oil is absorbed.
- Add the hot stock, cover and place on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until all the stock is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Stir in the molasses and soy sauce.
- Add the peanuts, chicken, scallions and green peas and mix well.
- Let stand covered for 5 minutes.
- Fry and egg in a non stick pan, either sunny side up or over easy and place atop the rice.