Nasi Goreng Indonesian Fried Rice
|1/4 cup peanut oil|
|2 tsp curry powder|
|1/ tsp turmeric|
|1 tsp ginger, minced|
|1 tsp crushed red peppers , and or 1 Serrano pepper chopped with seeds|
|1 and 1/2 cups of jasmine rice|
|3 cups of chicken stock|
|1 and 1/2 tbs molasses|
|3 tbs soy sauce|
|1/2 cup roasted peanuts|
|1 cup chicken pork or shrimp, minced (you may use a combination of all three if desired)|
|2 scallions, sliced on a bias|
|1/3 cup green peas|
|1 egg, fried|
I had this version of fried rice in Java. It is usually served in a folded banana leaf packed so it can be opened and eaten with your fingers. it is also served with a fried egg on top.
- Heat peanut oil in a wok or large saute pan with a cover,
- Add the onion, curry powder, turmeric, ginger, peppers and saute gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and saute 5 minutes or until rice is golden and oil is absorbed.
- Add the hot stock, cover and place on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until all the stock is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Stir in the molasses and soy sauce.
- Add the peanuts, chicken, scallions and green peas and mix well.
- Let stand covered for 5 minutes.
- Fry and egg in a non stick pan, either sunny side up or over easy and place atop the rice.