New Orleans Creole Soup
|1 lb large shrimp, shell on|
|1 lb lump crab meat|
|1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced|
|1 red pepper, seeded and diced|
|2 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds|
|1 can plum tomatoes (28 oz)|
|1 onion, peeled and studded with cloves|
|4 shallots, peeled|
|5 cups chicken stock|
|2 cups whipping cream|
|1 1/2 cups celery, diced|
|1 tbs fresh basil, chopped|
|2 tsp fresh thyme|
|1 tsp tumeric|
|3 bay leaves|
|1 tsp red pepper flakes|
|1/2 cup fresh lemon juice|
|2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped|
|6 cloves garlic, minced|
This is a New Orleans Classic. Creole cooking uses flavors taken from the French, the Spanish and the Caribbean islanders. This soup uses crab meat, shrimp, fresh vegetables and some special seasonings. I know it has a lot of ingredients, but remember as we have previously discussed use “mise en place” (get all of your ingredients prepared in advance) and the cooking will be a breeze. This is a perfect dish to gather the family around on a crisp cool Saturday and make together! Get ready for the feast. As always our Food So Good Mall recipes are highly adaptable. You may add oysters and or calamari if desired.
- In a bowl crush the tomatoes with your hands then add to stock pot.
- Add all other ingredients except the shrimp and crab.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 40 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove shells from shrimp and de-vein. Add shrimp shells to sauce pot with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add shrimp and cover for 3 minutes. Drain and put shrimp aside. Reserve cooking liquid and you may add a little to the soup as necessary.
- Remove crab meat from shells.
- Add shrimp and crab meat to soup and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Serve with cheesy corn bread.