Persian Lamb Stew with Chickpeas
|2 lbs of boneless lamb, fat removed and cubed into 1 inch pieces|
|3 tbs olive oil2 cloves garlic minced|
|1 medium onion, minced|
|1 cup chicken stock|
|Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2 cups parsley, chopped finely, leaves and stems|
|Juice of 1 lemon|
|2 tbs tomato paste|
|2 cups of canned drained chick peas|
This is a wonderful middle eastern preparation with contrasting flavors of lamb, lemon, parsley and garlic.
- In a heavy pot or dutch oven heat olive oil over high heat.
- Add the lamb cubes and brown quickly on all sides.
- Add garlic, onion, parsley, lemon juice and tomato paste, mix well.
- Add chicken stock.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to low and simmer, covered for about 2 hours or until lamb is very tender.
- If too much liquid evaporates during cooking, you may add a little more stock or water.
- Add chick peas and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Add more lemon juice to taste.
- Serve atop couscous.