Greek Gyro Sandwich
|2 lbs of boneless lamb, fat removed, cut into 1 inch cubes or thin slices|
|1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|juice of 1 lemon|
|2 tbs dried oregano|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 onion, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|2 green peppers, cut in 1 inch pieces|
|1 tomato sliced into 4 thick slices|
|1 red onion sliced|
|1/2 lb feta cheese, cubed in 1 inch pieces|
|4 pita bread rolls|
|Tadzhik sauce or yogurt for dressing|
This recipe was developed by the ” Astor” a Greek restaurant in Washington D.C..This charcoal broiled lamb dish derives much of its flavor by being encrusted in oregano which gives it a wonderful flavor. The feta cheese also gives this recipe a sharp flavor contrast.
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Place lamb cubes in a bowl and marinate for 4 hours.
- Thread lamb cubes on pre soaked wooden skewers.
- Brush thoroughly with marinade.
- Grill over hot charcoal, turning once. about 4 minutes on each side.
- Heat pita bread in oven or over coals, cut tops and stuff the lamb,tomatoes and onions, evenly between 4 rolls.
- Fill each pita roll with 1/4 of the feta cheese.
- Note: you can mix the feta cheese with a creamy plain yogurt as pictured.