Spicy Shredded Leek and Spring Onion Salad
|2 large leeks, white and light green parts cleaned thoroughly|
|4 spring onions, white parts only|
|1 tbs hot chili powder|
|2 tsp sesame oil|
|2 garlic cloves finely minced|
|2 tsp cider vinegar|
|2 tsp sugar|
|1 tbs sesame seeds|
|Kosher or sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste|
This is a classic Korean side dish that is served with barbecued or grilled meat dishes. It goes especially well with pork.
- Julienne the leeks and spring onions and place them in a large bowl of ice water and let them soak for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the chili powder, sesame oil, garlic, cider vinegar, sugar and sesame seeds and mix well.
- Drain the leeks and onions and place them in a serving bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the leeks and toss before serving.
- Season with salt and pepper.