Spinach and Feta Cheese Puffs in Phyllo
- 5 sheets of frozen phyllo pastry, thawed and brushed with melted butter (phyllo pastry is is very delicate, and when rolled it is crucial that each sheet be brushed with butter in order to remain pliable)
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 tbs butter
- 1 lb frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed removing as much water as possible
These are wonderful served as an appetizer. Spinach and feta cheese have a special affinity.
- Heat butter in a large sauce pan and add minced onion and saute until softened.
- Add the spinach and nutmeg. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide each puff pastry sheet in to 8 inch squares. Each sheet should give you about 6 squares.
- Cut each pastry square in half diagonally
- Divide the spinach mixture into 12 portions. And place on half of each triangle.
- Top with feta cheese. Dampen the edges of the pastry, fold over and seal well.
- Brush with beaten egg glaze.
- Place on a baking sheet and in a preheated 400 degree oven until cooked through and golden brown. About 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.