Strawberry Cinnamon Shortcake with Homemade Whipped Cream
|1 quart of strawberries hulled|
|2 tbs of superfine sugar|
|2 tbs of vanilla sugar|
|2 cups of all purpose flour|
|2 tsp baking powder|
|1/3 cup of sugar|
|1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg (use fresh nutmeg and grate it by hand)|
|1/4 tsp of cinnamon|
|1/3 cup of butter|
|1 egg well beaten|
|2-4 tsp of milk|
|2 tbs butter melted|
|1 cup heavy cream|
|1 tbs of powdered sugar|
|1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract|
This great dessert is full of deep sweet flavors..It may be prepared in about 40 minutes from start to finish.
- Mix the strawberries with 2 tbs of superfine sugar and 2 tbs of vanilla sugar and set aside.
- For the shortcake grease an 9 inch cake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the sugar. (1/3 cup) nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Blend the butter and egg and mix well. Add enough milk to make a moist slightly dough. Start with 2 tb and add more if needed.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of flour on the table, place the dough on top, and roll the dough gently into a 9 inch round.
- Place the round in the cake pan. It doesn’t have to be a perfect fit.
- Brush with the melted butter.
- In a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and let cool. once cool cut in half (horizontally) with a bread knife. Split apart carefully.
- Spread the strawberries between the layers and on top of the shortcake. Top with whipped cream and serve on the side.
- First put your mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 30 minutes and get them good and cold. This will insure that you will have fluffy rich whipped cream.
- Beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until it reaches a fluffy consistency and forms fluffy peaks.