Stuffed Portobello Garlic Mushrooms with Prosciutto
|4 large Portobello mushrooms (stems and gills removed)
|1/4 cup dried mushrooms (any variety) soaked in warm water for 20 minutes.
|6 tbs unsalted butter
|1 onion minced
|2 garlic cloves minced
|1 cup fresh bread crumbs
|5 tbs parsley
|1 tbs thyme
|Kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
|1/2 lb prosciutto sliced thin
Try to find similar sized Portobello mushrooms. Some find the dark gills on the underside of the mushroom cap to be bitter. A simple solution is to gently scrape them out with a spoon. This recipe calls for prosciutto, however you may use any type of cured ham that you like.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Soak the dried mushrooms in warm water for about 20 minutes, then drain., and chop finely.
- Carefully break off stems and scoop our the dark gills of the mushrooms.
- Melt half the butter in a large, heavy saute pan. Add the onion and cook over low heat until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, dried mushrooms, chopped stems and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl, add the breadcrumbs , egg, parsley and thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper
- Finely chop the stems and discard the dark gills.
- Melt the remaining butter in a microwave oven and generously brush over the reserved mushroom caps.
- Arrange the mushroom caps on a foil lined baking sheet and spoon the filling evenly into each mushroom cap.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until they are well browned and tender.
- Top each mushroom with a slice of prosciutto.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.