Zesty Crab & Shrimp Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 lb raw medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 egg white
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbs red hot sauce
- 1 tbs of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1 lb crab meat
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper minced
- 2 scallions minced
- 1/4 cup of parsley
- 1 and 1/2 cup of fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- For the Red Pepper Sauce:
- 1 7 0z jar of roasted red peppers draine
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 3 tbs red hot pepper sauce
- 2 tbs minced onion
- 1 tbs Dijon or whole grain mustard
- 1 tbs minced parsley
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
This crab cake preparation uses pureed shrimp as a binder, and gives these crab cakes a wonderful flavor. This recipe can be made in about 45 minutes start to finish. You may substitute tartar sauce if desired.
- Place shrimp, egg white, cream, hot sauce, Worcestershire and old bay seasoning in a food processor.
- Process until the mixture is pureed and smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the crab meat, bell pepper, onions, and parsley. Mix gently until well combined.
- Shape crab meat mixture into 12 1/2 inch thick patties. Coat the patties with bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a large non stick skillet. add the crab cakes. Cook until browned on each side.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve with red pepper sauce.
Red Pepper Sauce:
- Place all ingredients in food processor and process until smooth.
- Makes 1 cup of sauce.