Mexican Red Chili Sauce
- 4 cups of red chili puree (use our search engine for recipe)
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 tbs all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth(use our search engine for recipe)
- kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
This gravy (sauce) starts with a base of red chili puree..(use our search engine for the recipe). It an absolutely delicious sauce which can be used for enchiladas, taquitos, tamales, as well as for a number of Mexican dishes This sauce is the real thing. You can not buy this stuff in a can.
- Heat the olive in a medium sauce pan.
- Add the onions, garlic, cumin, oregano, and marjoram and cook uncovered , stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour and stir in well with a wooden spoon.Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the chili puree, chicken stock, vinegar, and brown sugar and tomato sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat and cook, partially covered, stirring often until the sauce has thickened. About 20 minutes.