Authentic Mexican Red Chili Puree
|6 cups boiling water|
|12 dried chili guajillio pods, stemmed and seeded torn into small pieces|
|2 dried chilies de arobol, stemmed and torn into small pieces|
|1 cup hot tap water|
This puree is created from re hydrated dried chilies. It is rarely used as a straight sauce however it is used as an ingredient for other recipes…If you have a favorite chili recipe try using this puree instead of chili powder.We usually make a big batch of this stuff and freeze it for use at a later date.
- In a medium sauce pan combine the boiling water with the pieces of chili. Cover and let stand until cool
- Drain, discarding the soaking water. In a food processor or blender, combine the soaked chile pieces with the hot tap water and process, stopping to scrape down the sides of the work bowl until mixture is smooth.
- Transfer the puree to a wire mesh strainer placed over a bowl and force the puree through the strainer.
- Discard any tough peels or seeds that remain.
- The puree can be refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.