Calves Liver in Lime Caper Sauce
- 2 lbs calf liver, cut into 1 inch slices
- 5 tbs butter
- flour for dusting
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup port wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock (use our search engine for beef stock recipe)
- Juice of 1 lime, plus 1 lime chopped fine
- 1 tbs capers
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbs water
This recipe has an interesting sweet and sour flavor contrast. Calves liver is packed full of protein and vitamins and when cooked properly it will melt in your mouth.
- In a large saute pan heat 3 tbs of butter over moderate heat.
- When butter is foaming, dredge the liver slices lightly in flour and saute quickly on both sides until just tender and slightly pink on the inside. About 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a platter and keep warm until serving.
- To the same saute pan add 2 more tbs of butter, then saute onions and garlic until tender.
- Add the wine, stock and lime juice and reduce sauce.
- Add the chopped lime capers, re-season with salt and pepper and simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Dissolve corn starch in water and add to sauce.
- Stir until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Pour sauce over liver and serve.