Calves Liver in Lime Caper Sauce
|2 lbs calf liver, cut into 1 inch slices|
|5 tbs butter|
|flour for dusting|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 small onion, minced|
|1/2 cup port wine|
|1/2 cup beef stock (use our search engine for beef stock recipe)|
|Juice of 1 lime, plus 1 lime chopped fine|
|1 tbs capers|
|2 tsp cornstarch|
|2 tbs water|
This recipe has an interesting sweet and sour flavor contrast. Calves liver is packed full of protein and vitamins and when cooked properly it will melt in your mouth.
- In a large saute pan heat 3 tbs of butter over moderate heat.
- When butter is foaming, dredge the liver slices lightly in flour and saute quickly on both sides until just tender and slightly pink on the inside. About 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a platter and keep warm until serving.
- To the same saute pan add 2 more tbs of butter, then saute onions and garlic until tender.
- Add the wine, stock and lime juice and reduce sauce.
- Add the chopped lime capers, re-season with salt and pepper and simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Dissolve corn starch in water and add to sauce.
- Stir until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Pour sauce over liver and serve.