- 1/2 bushel of oysters,about 4 dozen
- 1 quart of water
- vinegar for dipping
- Melted butter for dipping
- Cocktail sauce, if desired
This method for cooking oysters is a way of life in South Carolina. It is very simple and delicious.
- Heat a hot charcoal fire on a grill (a Weber grill works great)
- Place a metal baking sheet over the grill grate and let heat up for 5 minutes.
- Place the oysters in batches on the baking sheet, pour on a little water and cover with the grill top ( traditionally in Charleston they cover the oysters with wet burlap. If you have some burlap great use it). Douse the oysters with several cups of water.
- The oysters will take about 4 to 5 minutes to open.
- Once the are open remove from the grill right away.
- Dig in. Serve with cold beer and perhaps some champagne.
- Serve with a variety of dipping sauces or just eat plain (use search engine for dipping sauce recipes).