|2 and 1/2 cups of cooked chicken|
|2 tbs canola oil|
|1/2 cup onion, diced|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|1 4 to 6 oz can of green chilies|
|2 tsp chili powder|
|16 oz of salsa (use search engine for recipe or use jarred)|
|1/4 cup cilantro, chopped|
|2 tsp ground cumin|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|6 10 inch flour tortillas or 12 6 inch tortillas|
|1 cup canned refried beans|
|3 tbs canola oil for basting|
|sour cream, for garnish|
This recipe uses Mexican ingredient but is actually an American creation. It is a great use for leftover chicken. These chimichangas may also be prepared with ground beef or shrimp.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large saute pan using medium heat add the canola oil and saute the onion and garlic until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the green chilies, chili powder, salsa, cilantro,cumin.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the shredded chicken, and let cool
- Grease a 15 inch oven proof baking dish or pan with 2 tb of oil
- Working with one tortilla at a time, spoon a heaping tbs of beans down the center of each tortilla.
- Top with 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture (less if using smaller tortillas)
- Fold up the bottom, top and sides of the tortilla.Roll as though you were making a burrito and secure with wooden tooth picks.
- Place the chimichangas in the baking dish,seam side down. Brush all sides with oil.
- Bake at 425 for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown, turning once during cooking.
- Garnish with sour cream, guacamole and tomatoes.