Chinese Chicken Wings with Oyster Sauce
- 1 dozen chicken wings
- 3 slices of fresh ginger
- canola oil
- 4 tbs oyster sauce (available at Asian markets)
- 1 tbs dry sherry
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 and 1/2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 cup water
This recipe is from “Hop kee” one of our favorite Chinese restaurants in New York City. On one of our many visits we were able to persuade the chef to share his recipe and technique.
- Cut each wing into two pieces at the joint and discard the wing tips.
- In a Wok or large saute pan heat the oil and add the ginger slices.
- Add about 1/3 of the wings at a time and brown.
- When all of the wings are brown. Drain the oil and ginger slices, and add the oyster sauce, sherry, sugar , soy sauce and water.
- Place the browned wings in the wok and simmer uncovered for about 12 minutes with the lid off.
- Baste frequently with the sauce.
- When the wings are tender and nicely glazed they are ready to eat.