Deep Fried New Potatoes with Saffron Aioli
|20 new potatoes|
|3 cups canola oil (enough for deep frying)|
|Kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|1 egg yolk|
|1/2 tsp Dijon mustard|
|1 and 1/4 cups of extra virgin oil|
|2 tbs lemon juice|
|1 garlic clove crushed|
|1/2 tsp saffron threads|
These potatoes are crispy and irresistible topped with this garlicky mayonnaise. Please note that this is a quick version of Aioli. In Province (France) making Aioli properly is almost a religion.
- For the aioli place the egg yolk in a bowl along with the Dijon mustard and an pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Using a whisk or electric mixer, beat in the olive oil very gradually, drop by drop at first and then in a very thin stream. Stir in lemon juice. You should have a thick emulsion.
- Place the saffron in a small bowl and add 2 tsp of hot water. Press the saffron with the back of a spoon to extract the color and flavor. Let steep for 5 minutes.
- Add the saffron and the soaking liquid to the Aioli and beat well.
- Cook the potatoes in their skins in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat. Cover the pan and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and dry them thoroughly with a kitchen towel.
- Heat oil in a deep pan to 375 degrees.
- Add potatoes a few at a time and fry until brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels and serve with the Aioli.