|1 lb ground chuck, cooked and drained of grease.|
|6 strips cooked bacon cut into small pieces|
|3 tbs unsalted butter|
|1 medium onion chopped|
|1/4 cup flour|
|2/3 cup milk|
This is the British version of the Latin Empanada which is very popular and London Pubs.This version uses frozen puff pastry. Serves 6.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.add the bacon pieces and onion and cook until the onion is soft.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the flour, and slowly pour in the milk.
- Return to the heat and bring to a boil, constantly stirring.
- Cook the chuck sauteing until brown.
- Add the chuck to to the flour mixture and stir until heated through.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the pastry sheets about 1/8 inch in thickness.
- Using a 3-4 inch pastry cutter cut out about 20 circles from the pastry.
- Gather up any scraps and re- roll them and make a few more circles.
- Half of the circles will be used for the top,the other half of them for the bottom.
- Transfer half of the circles to a lightly floured surface and put about 1 tbs of the stuffing on top of each., leaving about 1/4 inch of clearance around the edge for sealing.
- With the egg wash using a pastry brush use the edges of the pastry. Place to top circle on and seal with the thine of a fork. Cut a few slits in the top of each pastie.
- Brush the top of each pastry with egg wash,place pasties on a well greased baking sheet and bake in a 425 degree preheated oven for about 30 minutes,or until golden brown.