- 1 lb fettuccine noodles, cooked al dente
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (do not use the stuff in the paper cans)
- freshly grated Parmesan for dusting
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parsley, chopped for garnish
This is an easy to prepare Italian favorite. Roman restaurateur Alfredo di Lello is credited with crating this dish in the 1920’s.
- While noodles are cooking, melt the butter in a saute pan large enough to accommodate the pasta.
- Over moderate heat, add the noodles and mix very well with the butter.
- Add half the cream and toss with a fork and spoon.
- Add half the cheese and toss to incorporate well, adding more cream a little at a time but not too much. Use only enough to prevent the noodles from sticking together.
- keep tossing and add the rest of the cheese and, if needed, more cream.
- Toss until all of the cheese is melted.
- Remove to heating serving plates and top with freshly grated cheese and cracked black pepper.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.