Fresh tomato soup has very little relationship to that stuff that many of you buy in that little can. It is very easy to make delicious fresh soup. The key is to start with vine ripe tomatoes..This a bit more difficult in the winter months but possible.
- 4 lbs of vine ripe tomatoes
- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tbs of tomato paste
- 3 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbs super fine sugar
- Small hand full of basil leaves, minced
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Basil leaves for garnish
- Sour cream or creme fraiche to serve
- Plunge tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds, then refresh in ice water.
- Peel off the skins, discard and quarter the tomatoes.
- Add the tomatoes to a sauce pan and add the stock.
- Bring almost to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer the mixture gently for about 15 minutes, until the soup has slightly thickened.
- Stir in the tomato paste, vinegar, sugar and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper, and continue to simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Process the soup in a blender or food processor and return to the pan and reheat.
- Serve in bowls garnished with a few basil leaves and a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche.