Green Chile Corn Cakes
|2/3 cup yellow corn meal|
|2/3 cup masa harina|
|1/4 cup all purpose flour|
|1 tbs sugar|
|1 tsp salt|
|1/2 tsp baking powder|
|2 cups buttermilk|
|2 eggs beaten|
|1//3 cup canned green chilies|
|1/3 cup corn kernels and juices, scraped from 1 medium ear|
|1 tbs fresh oregano|
|1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for cooking|
These savory corn cakes are great as a side dish, instead of bread. They go great with Mexican pinto beans.
- Sift together the cornmeal, masa harina, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Whisk together the butter milk, eggs,green chilies, corn with juices and oregano.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and partially combine.
- Add the melted butter and stir until just combined; do not over mix.
- Warm large saute pan or griddle over medium heat.
- Butter the pan or griddle.
- Working in batches drip the batter by 1/4 cup fulls on the griddle.
- Spread the batter into 5 inch rounds and cook about 3 minutes until bubbles appear on surface.
- Turn corn cakes and cook on the other side for abut 2 minutes.