Green Chile Corn Cakes
- 2/3 cup yellow corn meal
- 2/3 cup masa harina
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1//3 cup canned green chilies
- 1/3 cup corn kernels and juices, scraped from 1 medium ear
- 1 tbs fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for cooking
These savory corn cakes are great as a side dish, instead of bread. They go great with Mexican pinto beans.
- Sift together the cornmeal, masa harina, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Whisk together the butter milk, eggs,green chilies, corn with juices and oregano.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and partially combine.
- Add the melted butter and stir until just combined; do not over mix.
- Warm large saute pan or griddle over medium heat.
- Butter the pan or griddle.
- Working in batches drip the batter by 1/4 cup fulls on the griddle.
- Spread the batter into 5 inch rounds and cook about 3 minutes until bubbles appear on surface.
- Turn corn cakes and cook on the other side for abut 2 minutes.