Mexican Green Chile Sauce
|12 large green chilies, roasted and chopped or 2 cups of canned roasted chilies.|
|2 tbs olive oil|
|1/2 cup onion, minced|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|1 tsp oregano|
|1 tsp cumin|
|3 tbs all purpose flour|
|1 cup chicken broth (use our search engine for chicken broth recipe)|
|1 cup water|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|1 Serrano chili chopped with seeds|
This is an authentic elemental sauce of southwest and Mexico. You can spoon it on to tacos, enchiladas, burritos or any tortilla based dish. Makes 1 and 1/2 cups. Recipe may be doubled as sauce freezes well.
- Heat the olive oil In a saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, oregano and cumin and cook stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Cook for approximately 8 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- Add the flour and stir in well for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, water and green and Serrano chilies
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a rapid simmer.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick. about 15 minutes.