- 12 large green chilies, roasted and chopped or 2 cups of canned roasted chilies.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 tbs all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth (use our search engine for chicken broth recipe)
- 1 cup water
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 Serrano chili chopped with seeds
This is an authentic elemental sauce of southwest and Mexico. You can spoon it on to tacos, enchiladas, burritos or any tortilla based dish. Makes 1 and 1/2 cups. Recipe may be doubled as sauce freezes well.
- Heat the olive oil In a saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, oregano and cumin and cook stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Cook for approximately 8 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- Add the flour and stir in well for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, water and green and Serrano chilies
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a rapid simmer.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick. about 15 minutes.