Grilled Japanese Chicken Wings
|18 chicken wings|
|1 cup pancake syrup|
|1 cup soy sauce|
|1 cup sherry|
|1 and 1/2 tbs lemon juice|
|1 large shallot minced|
|1 garlic clove, minced|
|1 tsp ginger, minced|
|1 tsp red pepper flakes|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
These wings can be made in the oven but they are much better cooked over hot coals.
- Cut each wing into 2 pieces by separating at the joint, discard the wing tips.
- Put the wings in a large glass baking dish.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the wings
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight, turning occasionally.
- If you are grilling, put the wings on a greased rack over hot coals and baste with the reserved marinade.
- Cook over hot coals for about a half hour, turning occasionally, taking care not to burn.
- If you are cooking in the oven. Preheat to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until tender. Baste every 15 minutes.