Grilled Japanese Chicken Wings
- 18 chicken wings
- 1 cup pancake syrup
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 and 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 large shallot minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
These wings can be made in the oven but they are much better cooked over hot coals.
- Cut each wing into 2 pieces by separating at the joint, discard the wing tips.
- Put the wings in a large glass baking dish.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the wings
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight, turning occasionally.
- If you are grilling, put the wings on a greased rack over hot coals and baste with the reserved marinade.
- Cook over hot coals for about a half hour, turning occasionally, taking care not to burn.
- If you are cooking in the oven. Preheat to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until tender. Baste every 15 minutes.