- 2 lbs plus 3 oz's bread flour
- 2 tbs salt
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
- 2 tbs active dry yeast
This is a super simple recipe for authentic Italian bread. Remember when baking use the exact measurements. Makes three thin loaves or two larger loaves. You may alternatively shape into two round peasant style loaves.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl combine the flour, salt, olive oil and yeast with 3 cups of lukewarm water, and mix together until a dough begins to form.
- Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and knead until soft, smooth and elastic.
- Set dough in a warm place, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- With the extra olive oil knead the dough, and divide it into three equal parts and form the dough into the shape of your choice.( if you desire you can form into two equal rounds for a peasant style loaf)
- Set aside loaves, covered and let rise for another 45 minutes.
- Arrange the loaves on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven and bake for 1 hour.
Note: If you would like to make an olive loaf add 1/2 lb of pitted and chopped Kalamata olives to the dough.