Strawberry Ice Cream with Cherries and Blueberies
|1 quart vanilla or peach low fat ice cream|
|1 cup fresh Bing cherries, halved and pitted|
|1 cup fresh blueberries|
|1 cup of mandarin orange slices (preferably fresh, you may used canned in a pinch)|
|1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts|
|3/4 cup orange juice|
|1 tbs corn starch|
|1/4 cup of Cointreau or other flavored liqueur|
Turn your favorite ice cream into a healthy spring fruit explosion with this recipe. We chose cherries and blueberries but feel free to be creative with this recipe and pick your own favorite spring fruits.
- Combine cherries, blueberries, orange sections and walnuts in a serving bowl.
- In a sauce pan, combine the orange juice and cornstarch and cook over moderate heat until mixture comes to the boil.
- Stir constantly until sauce becomes, smooth, clear and thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the orange liqueur .
- pour over fruits and mix well, and marinate for several hour or as long as overnight in the refrigerator.
- Just before serving, stir in 1 tbs of the orange flavored liqueur.
- Serve over ice cream.