Indian Naan Bread
|3 cups all purpose flour|
|1 pkg active dry yeast|
|1/4 cup plain yogurt|
|1 tsp sugar|
|1/4 cup of warm milk|
|4 tbs butter, melted|
|pinch kosher salt|
This bread is a staple in Indian cuisine. It is usually prepared in a tandoori oven. This technique will enable you to prepare it at home.
- Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the warm milk.
- Sift flour into a large bowl.
- Once the yeast foams add to the flour along with the yogurt,baking powder and butter.
- Mix, adding more water of flour if necessary.
- Knead for 10 minutes, until smooth.
- Cover bowl with a damp cloth and let rise. until double in volume. About 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees, (very hot).
- Place a baking sheet or pizza stone in the middle of the oven rack.
- Punch dough down and knead for 2 more minutes.
- Tear of pieces of dough and form into balls, about the size of a large golf ball.
- Place balls on a platter,cover with plastic wrap and let rest for about 20 minutes.
- Flatten out balls into a circle about 1/8 inch thick and place in the oven. for about 6 minutes.
- Bake remaining dough balls in the same manner.
- If desired, once bread is baked, you may place it under a hot broiler which will give the surface of the bread some brown blisters.