Indian Shrimp Curry
- 3 lbs medium shrimp, peeled, deviened
- 3 tbs butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups boiling chicken stock(use search for recipe or used canned)
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup frozen peas,snow peas or water chestnuts.( or you may use a combination of all three)
This is relatively mild curry, it’s a good one to start with if you’ve never tried a curry before. Juicy shrimp are prepared with butter, garlic, cumin, ginger, coriander, and turmeric.
- In a large saute pan melt butter of medium heat, add onion, garlic, red peppers, cumin,ginger, turmeric, coriander and fenugreek. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add flour and cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add stock and whisk rapidly until smooth.
- Simmer uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes until sauce has reduced slightly.
- Add the shrimp, yogurt and lime juice. Mix well and let simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Add green peas and or water chestnuts .
- Serve with plain rice and chutney.