Mexican Pinto Beans
- 2 lbs pinto beans
- 3 quarts chicken stock(use our search engine for recipe)
- 1 large Spanish Onion, minced
- 1/4 lb of thick sliced bacon, diced
- 1 tbs of red chili puree (use our search engine for recipe) or 1 tbs chili powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, leaves and stems, chopped, reserve some for garnish
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 Serrano chili, seeded and minced
- Water for soaking
The smell in a Mexican kitchen that is simmering these beans is incredible.They are savory,smooth and tender, seasoned with onions bacon, chilies and cilantro.
- Soak the beans in cold water to cover for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove beans from water and rinse.
- In a large sauce pan or stock pot, combine the beans,onions,garlic,bacon chili puree or powder.
- Add 3 quarts of chicken stock and bring to a simmer, partially covered for 2 hours.
- Add the Serrano’s and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for another hour more until the beans are tender and the broth has thickened..
- Add chopped cilantro and mix gently.
- Serve at once.
- Beans may be made a day in advance of using as their flavor improves upon resting.