|1 envelope unflavored gelatin|
|1/4 cup cold water|
|3 eggs separated|
|1/4 cup sugar|
|juice of 1 lemon|
|Grated rind of 1 lemon|
|1/2 tsp ground ginger|
|1 cup crushed canned pineapple, in light syrup|
|1/4 tsp salt|
|1/4 cup light brown sugar|
|1 cup heavy cream, whipped|
|2 tbs finely chopped crystallized ginger|
This is a wonderful creamy dessert. It’s great with cake or pie or just on it’s own.
- Soften gelatin in cold water
- In top of double boiler combine egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, lemon rind, ginger, pineapple (with liquid), and gelatin mixture.
- Cook over (not touching) simmering water, stirring about10 minutes or until smooth and slightly thickened.
- Beat egg whites with salt until foamy and beginning to stiffen.
- Add brown sugar, 1 tbs at a time and beat until stiff and glossy.
- Carefully fold beaten egg whites and whipped cream into pineapple mixture.
- Then fold in the crystallized ginger.
- Pour into serving bowl and chill several hours before serving.