Red Wine Sauce (Beurre Rouge)
|4 tbs shallots, finely minced|
|1 to 2 tbs red wine vinegar|
|1 tbs heavy cream|
|1 tbs fresh lemon juice|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.|
This is a classic French sauce that is basically shallots, red wine and butter, reduced to a rich sauce. It is easy to learn and is a very versatile sauce that you may incorporate into many recipes.
- In a saute pan melt 1/4stick of butter using medium heat and saute the shallots until slightly soft.
- Add the red wine and reduce until almost dry.(3 to 4 tbs remaining)
- Add the cream and cook until it reduces and thickens, whisking frequently.
- Add the butter, a few chunks at a time, whisking all the time, moving the pan back and forth on and off the heat until all the butter is incorporated…(take care not to boil , too much heat will cause the butter to break.
- Season the sauce with vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Strain the sauce through a wire mesh strainer.