Roasted Red Onions
- 4 large red onions
- liberal quantity of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
This is an Italian classic from Caminetto in Rome Be liberal with the olive oil and use the best that you can afford.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large stock pot add the onions and water to cover. Bring to a boil, cook for 5 minutes, drain and cool.
- Cut each onion in half horizontally; cut off the ends evenly fo each onion stands on it’s own.
- Cover the bottom of a baking dish with olive oil.
- Place the onions, cut side up, on top of the oil.
- Drizzle olive oil over each onion and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake until the onions are nicely browned, about 1 hour and serve immediately.