Roasted Red Onions
|4 large red onions|
|liberal quantity of extra virgin olive oil|
|Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste|
This is an Italian classic from Caminetto in Rome Be liberal with the olive oil and use the best that you can afford.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large stock pot add the onions and water to cover. Bring to a boil, cook for 5 minutes, drain and cool.
- Cut each onion in half horizontally; cut off the ends evenly fo each onion stands on it’s own.
- Cover the bottom of a baking dish with olive oil.
- Place the onions, cut side up, on top of the oil.
- Drizzle olive oil over each onion and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake until the onions are nicely browned, about 1 hour and serve immediately.